www.combatsi.com | www.cryingrose.com

Forums
Combat: Samurai Island Website :: Forums :: Support :: Suggestions

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Skill Ranking Suggestion
Go to page   <<        >>  
Moderators: Archanox, Ayame Musashi, Esprite Xavier, fhisch, RobbyRacoon Olmstead, KatanaBlade Anubis, Haruko Fukai
Author Post
Atrus Westland
Sat May 03 2008, 01:35AM

Registered Member #633
I would still honestly like to see some more details on Malachi's ideas. I know Esprite already said they're working on some thing but honestly who know what thats going to come up. Just for brainstorming purposes at least I would really love to see some visual representation of Mal's ideas
Malachi Rothschild
Sat May 03 2008, 10:52AM
Registered Member #104
I'm not really good at making visuals but if you'd like to put something together I can talk you through any questions you have.

A good katana fight is like a good conversation.

It's deeply engaging, reciprocal
and it flows smoothly.

Atrus Westland
Sat May 03 2008, 12:08PM

Registered Member #633
Might not be such a bad idea. I think having some visual representations of things would be useful.
EA Poe
Sun May 04 2008, 06:49PM
Registered Member #1516
Some quick thoughts on Ranks, Balance, handicapping, tourneys, etc.

If you do a ranking system, it should, preferably, NOT, I repeat, NOT be a ladder. I'm not fond of the grind of 'leveling'.

Go, (igo, wei-qi, baduk) is an ancient asian game, which, like martial arts, has a rank. Each rank determines how strong you are, in relation to those you play. That is, if I lose half the time against someone, I'm the same rank as them. If I win 75% of the time, I may be a 'stone' (one rank) stronger. In japan, these ranks range from kyu (beginner) to dan (student) levels. Of course, only professional players could really be 'masters' of go.

I mention this, because I think this is a robust ranking system, even if it is not used for handicapping, such a thing may be considered for use if a ranking system is to be used.

But I think any ranking system is pointless, as the system stands. There are too many balance issues, not the least of which is the naginata's code bug with the sniper kick.

A useful tool of a ranking system is providing handicaps. That is, equal ranks make for equal health, or equal stamina. One rank lower, you give a very minor adjustment to health or stamina. two ranks, a more significant loss. The goal is to make it so that either player can win, 50% of the time against someone, within a reasonable number of ranks.

Such a thing would be hard to balance, and certainly made harder by BDs and Nagis and Duals.

But it would be a neat 'duel' feature.

Be well.
EA

I had too much irony in my diet as a child, now I have a repulsive personality.
Colin Kiernan
Sun May 04 2008, 07:18PM
Registered Member #166
Is there any chance that the database will be made available for public read-only queries? That would allow anyone to do data mining on the stats and come up with whatever scores or ranks they want.
RobbyRacoon Olmstead
Sun May 04 2008, 08:50PM

Registered Member #13
Colin, I have talked with Esprite a little bit about making some data available, though we have not discussed it in depth at this point, and I don't know how the other devs feel about it yet. So, it's not on the immediate agenda, but here are some of my thoughts:

In theory it should be fairly easy to do, and I can definitely see it's usefulness. Of course, there are some things that would absolutely need to be done before it could be made public, such as protection against people like Bobby Tables, and would also have to incorporate caching and other things to reduce the possibility of people causing more load on the server than we are paying for :)

So yeah, it might be possible to provide some sorts of public read-only data feeds, but there are considerations that would necessarily have to be made. No promises, but let's see what the other devs think? Hopefully one of them will chime in here (hint hint).

Atrus Westland
Sun May 04 2008, 09:39PM

Registered Member #633
I think that yourself and Esprite are the only two devs that post their opinions on the forums here :p
RobbyRacoon Olmstead
Mon May 05 2008, 05:49AM

Registered Member #13
That seems to be true, yeah :) Well, let's hope Esprite weighs in on the subject then :p

Colin Kiernan
Mon May 05 2008, 07:16PM
Registered Member #166
Thanks for the info Robby, I'm going to remain optimistic.

Unless Ayame uses some other account than this one, she hasn't logged into the website since it was made public.

[ Edited Mon May 05 2008, 07:17PM ]
Esprite Xavier
Tue May 06 2008, 03:12AM

Registered Member #12
Ayame doesn't like forums much, if you want to ask her something best thing to do is to leave her an IM.

As for open database..there are a few concerns with that, something all the devs need to talk about together. Fraid I can't get that going atm as I can't get onto SL for a few days (laptop is shot). Since the database is being changed on a basis of "whenever Arch or Robby feels like tinkering in it" I'm not sure how that would effect someone else's stuff that runs off that info. So would need to discuss that and other things if we were gonna consider opening it up.

Anyways, we've put quite abit of thought into a ranking leveling system thing. There are many notecards that have been created since the system was first created on how things could work. Many of these things have already been started on in the background.

We're familiar with the kyu/dan system and I'm guess its ok to say we'd probably base our ranking system off that as well.

We do keep an eye on weapon balances and try our best to make them as balanced as possible. Really now its a matter of battling with SL and trying to mix up the gameplay. Thats what patches are for. ^^

Over the summer I expect quite a few new features to the system as welll as balance issues and bug fixes from all of us. As for now I'm in Hawaii visiting my dad and relaxing after exams. So fraid I won't be doing much with the devs on working on thing or know whats going on atm ^^;. Atleast until I get a computer that can run SL again...

Well hope I answered questions and things best I could. Though I can't logon to SL I can respond to IMs via my email account. So feel free to leave any private questions there.

Please allow 1-2 days for time zone differences and the fact I might just laying on a beach ignoring the fact man ever created computers.

[ Edited Tue May 06 2008, 03:20AM ]
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF