www.combatsi.com | www.cryingrose.com

Forums
Combat: Samurai Island Website :: Forums :: C:SI Community :: General

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
SL Keyboard Remapping
Go to page       >>  
Moderators: Archanox, Ayame Musashi, Esprite Xavier, fhisch, RobbyRacoon Olmstead, KatanaBlade Anubis, Haruko Fukai
Author Post
Atrus Westland
Tue Apr 01 2008, 04:56PM

Registered Member #633
Second Life key mapping is often thought by most people to be hardcoded, as there is no remapping option in preferences for keyboard keys. Quite often I’m asked, or someone is suggested to contact me on how-to remap keys for second life. Specifically I’m sent people who want to know how remap keys pertaining to the Combat: Samurai Island system.

I'm going to make this as quick and painless as possible for me, as well as for you. In order to remap your keyboard keys follow these steps.

1. Navigate to your secondlife directory, and then to the sub-directory /apps_settings/ (content/resources/apps_settings/ for mac users)

2. Find the file keys.ini and then open the file with your favorite text editor or notepad.

Now that you have the key mapping file open I’m going to explain a few things about what you're going to see. The lines in the file will be displayed in the following format.
    wrote ...

THIRD_PERSON E SHIFT jump

"Visual Mode" "Keyboard key" "Secondary Key" "Action Performed"

In this case you would press E+SHIFT in order to perform the Jump action.

Now that, that is out of the way back to the directions.

3. Find the keyboard key in the visual mode that you want changed, and then edit the action performed. (It is safer and much easier to edit the action performed rather than the keyboard key itself)

4. Do this again for the keys that were effected by the ones changed previously. For example if you changed the “E” key from jump to push_down(which is block in CSI) then you must change the original push_down key “C” to something else. Normally this needs to be done for three different keys in CSI “E”, “C” and Spacebar.

That’s pretty much it, for windows users I’ve included the contents of MY keys.ini file that will make remap your keys in the following way, Jump will be spacebar, crouch or block will be E and stop movement will be C.

[ Edited Tue Apr 01 2008, 06:46PM ]
Shindo Otsuka
Wed Apr 02 2008, 12:17AM
Registered Member #823
And we found out that if you have Vista then, you can't do that.... :( Just go get yourself a Z Board!!!
XD

Let's have a play date with our swords! >:D

Link
Cian Dagger
Wed Apr 02 2008, 06:04AM

Registered Member #1107
Works great on a Mac. Thanks so much. :)
Shindo Otsuka
Wed Apr 02 2008, 06:24AM
Registered Member #823
Curse you VISTAAAAAAA!!! I shall have my revenge!

Side note:
You can use an XBOX controller now! Go to Link
and get the needed stuff to download there.
muahahahahahahha

Link
RobbyRacoon Olmstead
Wed Apr 02 2008, 09:03AM

Registered Member #13
Shindo Otsuka wrote ...
You can use an XBOX controller now!

I tried doing that about 6 months ago, and I just couldn't get used to it. I guess I'm too set in my ways, lol.

Shindo Otsuka
Wed Apr 02 2008, 09:45AM
Registered Member #823
Well, I'm a console freak so, I'm getting another controller today to try it out. I'll beat Moden if it doesn't work. lol

Link
Aimee Congrejo
Wed Apr 02 2008, 10:39AM

Registered Member #108
So would now be a good time to mention that I got my Intellimouse mapped so Button 5 is block in addition to C? *runs and hides* xD

Second Aimee =^.^= Aimee Congrejo's Videos
Shindo Otsuka
Wed Apr 02 2008, 11:15AM
Registered Member #823
You can remap your mouse? lol I'm so dorky. I never thought about it. XD

Link
Aimee Congrejo
Wed Apr 02 2008, 01:25PM

Registered Member #108
Yah...I dunno about on Windows but on the Mac the Intellimouse lets you turn buttons into keys. So button 1 and 2 are normal left/right click but button 3 is voice push to talk, 4 is M for enter/leave Mouselook, and 5 is C for block.

Second Aimee =^.^= Aimee Congrejo's Videos
Atrus Westland
Wed Apr 02 2008, 01:50PM

Registered Member #633
As a FPS gamer, I found that the default key configs were way too wacky to get used to. I find remapping things to what I'm used to, makes it easier to fight. I mean, why get used to a different setup every game? And so many people started bugging me because they felt the same way I think.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF