www.combatsi.com | www.cryingrose.com

Forums
Combat: Samurai Island Website :: Forums :: Support :: Suggestions

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
AOs in the C:SI HUDs
Go to page       >>  
Moderators: Archanox, Ayame Musashi, Esprite Xavier, fhisch, RobbyRacoon Olmstead, KatanaBlade Anubis, Haruko Fukai
Author Post
Shindo Otsuka
Mon Mar 31 2008, 08:01AM
Registered Member #823
Everyone has opinions on AOs. "I hate them!" "I love them!" "Who cares?!" Why not put AOs in the HUDs? that way you wouldn't have to add another HUD to the screen and it could be turned on or off. But then you wouldn't have to worry about the landing or the jump slashing, blah blah blah. Perhaps this shut some people up, yesh?

Let's have a play date with our swords! >:D

Link
Makkiavelli Toland
Fri Apr 11 2008, 03:59AM
Registered Member #69
But then you wouldn't have to worry about the landing or the jump slashing, blah blah blah. Perhaps this shut some people up, yesh?

what?

anyways, i think Robby talked about this stuff some time ago.. lets see what happens ^^

[ Edited Fri Apr 11 2008, 04:12AM ]
RobbyRacoon Olmstead
Fri Apr 11 2008, 07:22AM

Registered Member #13
Yes, I did talk about this stuff, and what happened was... A shortage of time and motivation.

I've started working on an AO that is C:SI-friendly in terms of not overriding C:SI attack animations, but an AO is an extremely complex piece of scripting in terms of all of the hacks necessary to get around C:SI quirks, and I discovered that it was more of a challenge than I thought it would be to tweak it to suit my needs and still remain within the very limited amount of memory SL gives for scripts.

In addition to the technical complexity, I anticipate such a thing would place a greater burden on us for support, and I've got a pretty full plate right now so I'm in no hurry to make myself busier :)

I do think it's a great idea, and I also think that it's something that I am definitely going to do, but I don't know that it will get done in the very near future.

Having said all of that, I don't think a C:SI HUD is necessarily the right place to put AO functionality. I'll give some of my reasoning for that after I've had my coffee and become more human (I just woke up), but essentially I think that it would not be a great decision to make a product that goes through as many mandatory updates as C:SI does into a person's only AO.

Bleh, that didn't come out right, my brain is still in low gear, I'll come back to this topic in a bit.

[ Edited Fri Apr 11 2008, 07:25AM ]

Shindo Otsuka
Fri Apr 11 2008, 07:56AM
Registered Member #823
XD Well I wonder if someone knows a AO maker that can do that? Like that person that makes the Ao's in Samurai Island? Just a thought. Delegate! XD

Let's have a play date with our swords! >:D

Link
Malachi Rothschild
Fri Apr 11 2008, 07:58AM
Registered Member #104
Robby,

I think I understand what you mean.

The C:SI hud needs to be updated relatively frequently. If a person's ao were in the hud, that would force them to setup their ao with each new update, even though the update itself wasn't related to the ao. Is that anywhere near where you're coming from?

A good katana fight is like a good conversation.

It's deeply engaging, reciprocal
and it flows smoothly.

RobbyRacoon Olmstead
Fri Apr 11 2008, 09:33AM

Registered Member #13
Shindo, that's a great idea, and you're right that the person you are thinking of would likely be perfectly suited for the task, but that's only one part of the whole solution :)

No matter how you look at it, it's not a trivial task, for anyone.

RobbyRacoon Olmstead
Fri Apr 11 2008, 09:35AM

Registered Member #13
Yes, Malachi, that's probably the biggest problem with putting a full-blown AO in a C:SI HUD.

In addition to that, there is the fact that a very large proportion of C:SI customers are not C:SI "regulars", so there might be some confusion there.

Colin Kiernan
Fri Apr 11 2008, 10:19AM
Registered Member #166
How about having the C:SI hud or weapons send messages on a pre-defined chat channel that say something like "I need you to be lower priority now" and then get some of the more common AO makers to support listening for these messages and being "C:SI-friendly".
Atrus Westland
Fri Apr 11 2008, 01:17PM

Registered Member #633
What?! you mean have people work together colin?! Are you mad? Hes a mad man I tell you... mad!
RobbyRacoon Olmstead
Fri Apr 11 2008, 01:26PM

Registered Member #13
Colin, I've already started to move down that road, and anyone with my recent Taketori Beta builds can listen on channel 2354 for various interesting messages (still under development, not final).

I doubt that there's much chance of "more common AO makers" wanting to support this, as firstly C:SI is really not the target demographic, and secondly most AO devices are free. There's just not much motivation or many compelling reasons for anyone outside of C:SI to get involved, I would guess.

[ Edited Fri Apr 11 2008, 01:29PM ]

Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF