www.combatsi.com | www.cryingrose.com

Forums
Combat: Samurai Island Website :: Forums :: C:SI Community :: General

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
C:SI Weekly Statistics
Go to page       >>  
Moderators: Archanox, Ayame Musashi, Esprite Xavier, fhisch, RobbyRacoon Olmstead, KatanaBlade Anubis, Haruko Fukai
Author Post
RobbyRacoon Olmstead
Fri Mar 21 2008, 10:30AM

Registered Member #13
Just wanted to post a quick note to everyone that I'm going to try to move the C:SI Statistics page I have on my blog over to this website at some point this weekend. This doesn't mean that it's done, necessarily, there's still stuff we want to add to it over time, but it really would be good to get it into place where it really belongs.

I'm not super-familiar with the CMS software we use here, so I'm asking that if it's a little broken during the moving-over process, please have a little patience :)

After the move is completed, I will start working on the next phase. Any comments and feedback about what you'd like to see as a C:SI user is encouraged, please let us know!!!

Colin Kiernan
Fri Mar 21 2008, 10:55AM
Registered Member #166
I would to see people I have killed the most or who have killed me the most, or people who I have the highest or lowest kill-loss ratio against.

You could display people's "Arch Nemesis" which would be someone who they have fought a lot and has a win-loss ratio close to 50%.
Colin Kiernan
Fri Mar 21 2008, 11:08AM
Registered Member #166
Ok, I realized that stuff I just posted doesn't really belong on the "Weekly Stats" page that this post is about.

But along those lines, instead of just having the top fighters, you could have the top pairs who fought each other the most that week.

As for the most active sims, I think it should also take into account the number of different people who fought there. Let's say one sim had 500 duels, all fought by the same two people, while another sim had 250 duels, fought by 30 different people. I'd probably say that second sim was more active, even though there weren't as many duels. Maybe you could just have a separate chart showing number of unique fighters.

You could show the change from the previous week for all the charts.

You could do something like Amazon.com recommendations, "People who liked dueling in Meiji also dueled in Samurai Edo and RavKom".

Ok, I'm my ideas are getting more and more absurd, so I'm going to stop.
Colin Kiernan
Fri Mar 21 2008, 11:11AM
Registered Member #166
Oooh, what about "Most popular C:SI weapons this week"?
RobbyRacoon Olmstead
Fri Mar 21 2008, 12:41PM

Registered Member #13
I *definitely* want a way to track "Most popular C:SI weapons this week", since there's currently no tracking of any kind being done "by weapon". This would help us as developers, I think, and could be interesting to users. I wonder, however, whether that would add momentum to upward swings....

If you have ideas for other kinds of statistics, this is an appropriate thread to list them, or feel free to start a new one :)

In the short term, I'm moving the Weekly Statistics here, and can do that relatively safely because it doesn't change how the core tracking code works. It piggybacks on the data generated by the grid-wide scoring system, without changing any of the code that gathers that data.

In the future, some kinds of statistics (such as "per weapon" statistics) will only be enabled by making changes to the core system, and that will have to be done incrementally and carefully in order to not inadvertently break things :)

This is one place where the community can contribute : Give us good ideas, and we'll figure out what we can do within our means and within the "shortest path to implementation".

[ Edited Fri Mar 21 2008, 12:42PM ]

Malachi Rothschild
Fri Mar 21 2008, 03:27PM
Registered Member #104
I'd love to see more team-based statistics, not just clan-based. And it would be cool to see the skill level of your opponent factored into some of the stats. I don't know if that's really possible, but their kill to death ratio and number of spars could factor into a difficulty rating, and there could be a relationship between the difficulty rating of the people they spar and their own difficulty rating, so if someone's got great kill to death ratio but it's all against people who have a low difficulty rating then their own difficulty rating is going to be lower.

Edit: One of the things that would enable is for people of similar skill levels to find each other, and it would encourage people to go out and challenge more difficult fighters. At first I think the stats would be a bit wacky for that but I think that over time they'd level off.

[ Edited Fri Mar 21 2008, 03:34PM ]

A good katana fight is like a good conversation.

It's deeply engaging, reciprocal
and it flows smoothly.

Atrus Westland
Fri Mar 21 2008, 03:34PM

Registered Member #633
Man that is actually a really awesome idea, And I bet it really wouldn't be that hard to pull off. It might be a little wonky the first week or so; however, after that it would level out and be much more accurate.
Malachi Rothschild
Fri Mar 21 2008, 03:35PM
Registered Member #104
Jinks!

and it flows smoothly.

Colin Kiernan
Fri Mar 21 2008, 08:29PM
Registered Member #166
I'd be a little careful of how to calculate a difficulty score like that, because if people are penalized for fighting below their skill level, it will make it hard for noobs or even mid-level fighters to find a skilled opponent willing to duel them. It should probably be set up so that you are rewarded for fighting difficult opponents, but there is no effect from fighting weak ones. I think that would still keep the people who prey on noobs from getting a high rating.

What exactly do you mean by team-based statistics as opposed to clan-based? Would a team just be an arbitrary group of people who want their statistics to be grouped for a certain set of duels?
Malachi Rothschild
Fri Mar 21 2008, 08:43PM
Registered Member #104
Colin,

re: stat calculation I was thinking the same thing but for a different reason. If people were penalized for fighting people below their level it would make teaching a lot harder. The last sentence of my original suggestion didn't read quite like I intended. The complete thought would be "lower... than someone who has that ratio fighting people at their level."

re: team-based. Yeah. For example, maybe if each person had their own stats page, the teams in which they regularly spar could appear on that page along with stats for those teams. There could be one page that lists the top teams. I don't think it should be 'people who want' but instead something that requires much less moderation. If a team duel function is ever included in the combat system I think it would be much more doable.

and it flows smoothly.

Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF