www.combatsi.com | www.cryingrose.com

Forums
Combat: Samurai Island Website :: Forums :: C:SI Community :: General

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Why do people like "Autocombo"?
Go to page   <<        >>  
Moderators: Archanox, Ayame Musashi, Esprite Xavier, fhisch, RobbyRacoon Olmstead, KatanaBlade Anubis, Haruko Fukai
Author Post
RobbyRacoon Olmstead
Wed Mar 19 2008, 09:37AM

Registered Member #13
This is just a side note, not necessarily specific to this thread, just an observation.

"Broadly appealing" has a more general meaning to me than it might appear from my previous post. There are currently over fifteen thousand people who have used C:SI swords in a duel in the last year, and less than 3% of those people are hard-core fighters. Maybe not even 1%. The vast majority of C:SI customers most likely have less than 50 fights *a month*, and that might be overestimating things.

I think it's safe to assume that most people who buy C:SI weapons actually prefer that there are 15 combat animations rather than 3, and it's that majority that makes it possible to afford web hosting for the grid-wide scoring system and forums, etc.

So while there might be little functional use in having 9 different slash animations and three different kick animations, there's definitely a good reason to have them there :)

JulieAnne Rau
Wed Mar 19 2008, 09:42AM

Registered Member #107
Good Point. I can accept that.

JulieAnne
RobbyRacoon Olmstead
Wed Mar 19 2008, 09:45AM

Registered Member #13
JulieAnne Rau wrote ...

a lot of the fighters i know use the CAS9 system to increase there FPS, I suspect they are not intersted in visuals

What the heck is that? I know it's not Mouse Anti-Human Caspase 9 Monoclonal Antibody, Unconjugated, Clone CAS9

JulieAnne Rau
Wed Mar 19 2008, 09:55AM

Registered Member #107
Karnac Binder wrote ...

I agree wholeheartedly with Jiao: the look of C:SI really does matter. After all, we could just use scripted half-dozen prim planks as swords, but what a loss that would be when you see the beauty of the CSI weapons. I tend to use a stripped down AO most of the time, which as far as I know does not cover up my anims. I do turn down my graphics to fight, but as long as I can get 25 fps or more I am happy (I seem to recall that (the human eye can't distinguish much difference after about 35 fps anyway).

I don't know how far my 200 ms ping disadvantages me against someone on 70 ms, but frankly since there is nothing I can do about it, why worry? There will always be someone better than me and someone worse (I hope). And to a considerable extent you adapt your style according to your circumstances - that is part of the challenge and satisfaction of CSI.

Fighting with honour and elegance is what does matter to me, and using an appropriate AO, and dressing in an exciting or pleasing way, is part of that. Anyone fixating on fps should try Ctrl ALt Shift 9 for a fight: then tell me that fighting half-dressed baldies with invisible weapons in a featureless desert is satisfying - I'd rather keep eating Tatami personally :-)

LOL, you really have to read the forums more often *giggles*
Personally, I don't subscribe to this. I have tried it but without my apponents sword in front of me, it throughs my timing off.

JulieAnne
RobbyRacoon Olmstead
Wed Mar 19 2008, 09:57AM

Registered Member #13
Oh, that... No, I need more coffee, lol. :)

Atrus Westland
Wed Mar 19 2008, 12:27PM

Registered Member #633
I think that even for people who argue in the defense of Autocombo, would be willing to agree that dropping it from the system completely in order to improve on it would be beneficial. The idea of having a more advanced and dynamic sequential combo system is very appealing for me. And, I would think that it would be appealing to others in the community as well. Just the idea of it, makes me go "OoOooo"

I think people should remember when reading the thread that, that was the main focus of this topic. The loss or removal of autocombo, why does the community feel so strongly about it, and what could be done if it wasn't there.
Colin Kiernan
Wed Mar 19 2008, 07:46PM
Registered Member #166
Now I finally know why the Mouse Anti-Human Caspase 9 Monoclonal Antibody, Unconjugated, Clone CAS9 I ordered online hasn't been working. I thought maybe I was supposed to get the conjugated variety.
RobbyRacoon Olmstead
Wed Mar 19 2008, 09:34PM

Registered Member #13
Not only that, Colin, but after I linked to it, the page disappeared O.o

I've totally scared off your supplier, they've gone back underground :(

Cian Dagger
Sun Mar 23 2008, 04:57PM

Registered Member #1107
I'm pretty new round here, but I see two obvious solutions from a business stand point.

a- Make the triple combo a toggled feature. That way people can turn it on or off. I know that this would probably suck to code, but it would keep everyone happy.

b- Sell two versions of the katana. On with and one without combo.

As for the answer to why people like combo....I think it's just the way they learned C:SI. When your a noob, ahhem...like me, it's way easier to push two buttons and let that combo rip. They you get used to it and taking it away leads to a some retraining. People work hard to get skilled at C:SI and they don't want to change the style they have developed. It's just like changing the game play in any other game. If you change something fundamental to the users experience you will loose users.

Thanks for this thread though. I'm going to try stop using auto-combo and train key strokes.
Atrus Westland
Sun Mar 23 2008, 06:05PM

Registered Member #633
"Can't teach an old dog new tricks" For some reason comes to mind when thinking about this topic.

[ Edited Sun Mar 23 2008, 06:05PM ]
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF