www.combatsi.com | www.cryingrose.com

Forums
Combat: Samurai Island Website :: Forums :: Support :: Support

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
HUD inventory?
Go to page   <<      
Moderators: Archanox, Ayame Musashi, Esprite Xavier, fhisch, RobbyRacoon Olmstead, KatanaBlade Anubis, Haruko Fukai
Author Post
Eben Slade
Fri Feb 15 2008, 02:38AM

Registered Member #277
I hate to continue a hijack, but why do so many C:SI players consider potions cheating? I personally don't understand that; Isn't it like insisting on typing one-handed? To this date I have inventory items in my HUD that I'll never get to use because they are so taboo...but yet, they are there, and that inventory tab was put there for a reason...right?

Everyone I ask about it says "that's how everyone else feels," or "Everyone in C:SI is that way," but there's not much explanation beyond that. So, does anyone know a compelling reason why the inventory items are so frowned upon?
Malachi Rothschild
Fri Feb 15 2008, 01:49PM
Registered Member #104
My personal feeling is that it removes some of the balance of the system. One person can load up on inventory items, even stock up multiple huds and switch them once the first inventory is drained without the other person knowing. If both are using them and both are heavily stocked up I think it can become more of a war of attrition than anything else. I think because there's no real limit to inventory size (due to the ability to swtich huds) it creates unbalance where a mediocre fighter could win much more due to a modified tactic that involves a huge amount of pot use and kunai-throwing with extremely limited direct contact.

I think in some cases using items is warranted, when it is established ahead of time as something that's being done for a change of pace. But the de facto position of the c:si community remains anti-inventory.

I wasn't here when the inventory was first introduced. Maybe someone who was here then can offer a little insight to that history.

A good katana fight is like a good conversation.

It's deeply engaging, reciprocal
and it flows smoothly.

Sunshine Troglodite
Fri Feb 15 2008, 01:54PM
Registered Member #383
Well, I've got nothing against using items during a duel, but I can think of at least one compelling reason why people don't like it: many find it appealing that C:SI is a game of skill (more or less, ignoring technical issues like lag and whatnot and different weapon characteristics) and that the outcome of a fight isn't determined by a character's level or fancy inventory items (loot). If duels are decided by the number of healing potions you have, it's not quite the same.

Anyway, there are just certain conventions that have developed - one of them is, if you want to use inventory items during a duel, ask first before it starts and respect your opponent's answer. No biggie.

EDIT: dammit Malachi, you're faster than me at everything!

[ Edited Fri Feb 15 2008, 01:55PM ]
Malachi Rothschild
Fri Feb 15 2008, 02:07PM
Registered Member #104
Sowwy. ^^

and it flows smoothly.

Atrus Westland
Sat Feb 16 2008, 03:07AM

Registered Member #633
Yeah, i'm gunna have to go ahead and agree there. Thats actually what draws me to csi so much is that the system is so very simplistic and yet complicated at the same time. Your fights are very much due to skill. (obviouslly ignoring minor issues with server ping and fps however thats the norm in any competitive fast past game like csi)
JulieAnne Rau
Tue Feb 19 2008, 08:01AM

Registered Member #107
So, just for interest sake. I have 3 HUDs. One is full of HPs, the other is full of Stamina and the 3rd is full of the throwing knives. I keep each one in a different folder and copy them, so i have about 3 copies of each of the HUDs.

Malachi Suggested that you can switch HUDs during a spar. I have never done that but if that was possible, I would have unlimited knives, HPs and Stamina based on how I collect my inventory items.

I don't think I would need a sword anymore, I would stand back and pepper ya with unlimited knives and run in a circle.

Malachi Rothschild wrote ...

One person can load up on inventory items, even stock up multiple huds and switch them once the first inventory is drained without the other person knowing..... I think because there's no real limit to inventory size (due to the ability to swtich huds) it creates unbalance where a mediocre fighter could win much more due to a modified tactic that involves a huge amount of pot use and kunai-throwing with extremely limited direct contact.

JulieAnne

[ Edited Tue Feb 19 2008, 10:14AM ]
Malachi Rothschild
Tue Feb 19 2008, 02:31PM
Registered Member #104
You know Julie, now that I consider your hypothetical, you might be able to have each of those three HUDs attached to a different part of your screen. That way you wouldn't have to worry about swapping them out. If tested, it might be observed that the gesture shortcut could trigger all three HUDs at once.

and it flows smoothly.

JulieAnne Rau
Tue Feb 19 2008, 03:20PM

Registered Member #107
With all that said, I think we have proved why using inventory items during a 'normal' sparring session is not practical. However, as I read Malachi post I was thinking "wouldn't it be kool to use them in RP or during a Capture the Flag tournament". I'd be up for using inventory for that!

JulieAnne
Aimee Congrejo
Wed Feb 20 2008, 09:33AM

Registered Member #108
It really depends on who you ask and who you fight with. Like, the safe assumption is don't use inventory in a spar. But like there are a few people I fight with where we both know it's drop down drag out no rules full inventory full physics exploits and full cheats. LOL

So not everyone is against inventory...you'll find friends to fight with who welcome it. =^.^= Heck, Lynkis usually says hi to me by smacking me with two or three kunai and I say hi back by randomly kicking him whenever I see him. LOL

But uhm...yah, tourneys, no inventory. Sparring some random person, no inventory. Fighting someone you know likes the challenge...inventory! =^.^=

Second Aimee =^.^= Aimee Congrejo's Videos
Eben Slade
Wed Feb 20 2008, 05:50PM

Registered Member #277
JulieAnne Rau wrote ...

So, just for interest sake. I have 3 HUDs. One is full of HPs, the other is full of Stamina and the 3rd is full of the throwing knives. I keep each one in a different folder and copy them, so i have about 3 copies of each of the HUDs.

Malachi Suggested that you can switch HUDs during a spar. I have never done that but if that was possible, I would have unlimited knives, HPs and Stamina based on how I collect my inventory items.

JulieAnne

-----------------------------------------------------------

I do understand about CSI being a game of skill (grid willing,) and it's a compelling argument, but I hate unturned stones. I'll respect that it's taboo, however I still want to learn more about them; they're a tool just as the weapons themselves are.

Unfortunately, the HUD inventory is not as obliging as the scenario presented. Items are given out seemingly at random, and I have yet to find a way to transfer items between HUDs. Kunais seem to be rarer than potions, so I wonder if it isn't given out based on a percentage instead... You could forseeably run around Edo, using up items that don't match what you want in that particular HUD, and I'm sure it would be three days well-spent. =)

I guess someone could switch HUDs in combat. I think I'd like the free hits available while they exited mouselook, opened inventory, found the folder and rezzed the HUD. Have you ever seen someone switch weapons mid-duel? Flawless Victory for the other guy!

As I learn more, I'll add it to this topic.
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF