www.combatsi.com | www.cryingrose.com

Forums
Combat: Samurai Island Website :: Forums :: C:SI Community :: General

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Blood Drinkers
Moderators: Archanox, Ayame Musashi, Esprite Xavier, fhisch, RobbyRacoon Olmstead, KatanaBlade Anubis, Haruko Fukai
Author Post
Malachi Rothschild
Tue Jan 22 2008, 11:33AM
Registered Member #104
Yay first to make the thread. xD

I really like the dynamic nature of the blood drinkers. I think it will take some getting used to before I can comment much on how balanced they are. My initial impression is that even if I do get good with them I still won't be able to use them as effectively as some of the other weapons.

It seems like slash to block is very quick and a little faster than kick to block. I checked against someone who was using a ninjaken with transparent highlighted and the slash to block seemed about even or slightly faster, but the kick to block seemed quite a bit slower.

I like that the movement's being incorporated now. I think that will be a much bigger deal when havok 4 rolls out and movement is more limited. I'm not sure yet how much I like it in these, but I think at the very least it's an effective proof of concept.

I noticed that a combo of w a s seemed to slash on s. I haven't checked to see what type of damage that does yet. Not sure if it's intentional or not but w d s does not yield the same results. I just checked and sas does the same thing on the third attack, so it's a to s on the 2nd and 3rd.

The movement on the 2nd kick seems a bit awkward but I think it will just force a different strategy.

Those are my initial thoughts. They're interesting so far.

edit: Just realized that combo can be followed with w for another attack. xD That is pretty awesome.

[ Edited Tue Jan 22 2008, 11:37AM ]

A good katana fight is like a good conversation.

It's deeply engaging, reciprocal
and it flows smoothly.

Malachi Rothschild
Fri Feb 01 2008, 08:25AM
Registered Member #104
I've been working with these a lot lately. I wanted to share some of the techniques I've discovered and favor with the blood drinkers. These primarily focus on aerial attacks which I find myself applying much more with these. I like them in a tank except for the fact that their kick and their comboing seems slower than ninjaken and the second kick moves back. A good way to get around this that I've used and I've seen others use is to kick, block, kick. The block can be good at any time for killing the combo and therefore making the patterns of movement less predictable. I'll have to get used to tanking with them a bit more so that I can diversify my BD techniques but I do think they're especially effective for aerial attacks.

Begin with a jump slash or jump kick. follow with either a or d to do a single or double slash above their head. Immediately rotate and use a or d (depending on the way you turned) to spin back over their head, getting in another hit and landing where they don't expect you. Remember that the spin attack on a and d do damage straightforward in the initial direction that you are facing.

Jump slash or jump kick followed by w. This will kill your momentum in the air and make you drop which will allow you to kick, slash or block and catch your opponent off guard (if you began with a slash then the second slash which kills momentum should hopefully connect as well, and if they've blocked your first slash your momentum won't be killed and you'll complete the jump.) This technique is also helpful for jumping from a distance and falling on your opponent when they think you'll land beyond them. It is also a good way to avoid meeting your opponent in the air. Sometimes by dropping when they jump to meet you you'll have the time to rush them and attack them in the back as they fall or get in some hits when they land.

If you jump slash and follow with a kick quickly you may be able to get in a second hit while you move back.

A slash or kick followed by a kick will move you back. If your opponent is very aggressive and decides to give chase, pivot your camera a little (still facing them so the bullet connects) and spin out of the way.

I have not had much of a chance to put this one into practice, but the four-part combo that ends with forward movement on w looks somewhat predictable. I really haven't used it as much because it's such a long string of slashes. The movement on this one seems more important than the attack itself. But, if instead of using the final step in the combo you run up and do a jump kick you may be able to fool your opponent.

General suggestions:

The movements become easier to follow when activated in succession near your opponent. If they pursue you, you can wait for them and begin a combo so that when they reach you, you may be able to finish it and move out of the way.

[ Edited Fri Feb 01 2008, 08:28AM ]

and it flows smoothly.

Malachi Rothschild
Tue Feb 12 2008, 08:58AM
Registered Member #104
Shocked I'm the only person in this thread. I wrote up a full guide to the blood drinkers. IM me in-world if you'd like a copy or check it out at daikon forge. Robby posted it up there for me:

EDITED (see Colin's post below for the link.)

[ Edited Tue Feb 12 2008, 08:27PM ]

and it flows smoothly.

Colin Kiernan
Tue Feb 12 2008, 04:16PM
Registered Member #166
Robby updated his blog to the new version, and that caused the link to change.

The Art of Blood Drinking: An Unofficial Guide
RobbyRacoon Olmstead
Tue Feb 12 2008, 05:03PM

Registered Member #13
Sorry about link breakage, that was unintentional. I was trying to get the publish date modified so that people who only read the blog via RSS reader would get the updated version, and apparently that changed the URL but *didn't* re-publish the article :(

Shindo Otsuka
Fri Feb 29 2008, 02:21PM
Registered Member #823
Ninjakens RULE!

Let's have a play date with our swords! >:D

Link

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF